Thursday 5 November 2009

Mark Cavendish Book Review

Boy Racer: Mark Cavendish

In my haul of 40th birthday presents, I got some books as I usually do. One of them was "Boy Racer - My journey to Tour de France record-breaker" by Mark Cavendish.




Mark Cavendish is officially Britain's most successful Tour de France cyclist. His 4 stage wins in 2008 and 9 wins in 2009 have singled him out as an exceptional athlete, particularly as he does not possess the type of body-shape so typical of the lycra-clad sportsmen we see on the telly.

I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy this book. I really enjoyed the TdF coverage on the TV this year and I was amazed by this scally's performances on the bike. I felt almost as if he was flying the flag for short blokes everywhere!

Like most cyclists, I've read the Lance Armstrong books and feared that this missive could be more of the same. Lance is a fantastic writer, so inspirational, but there's only room for one cyclist writing that sort of book.

I'm glad to say I was wrong. Mark Cavendish's book is different: honest; bolshy; in-your-face; heartwarming and in places upsetting. And there's loads of good information about competitive cycling and Le Tour.

I would recommend any cyclist to buy this book. In fact I would recommend anyone who's ever been involved in competition to buy this book.


Tell 'em Phill sent ya!

2 comments:

  1. Great review Phillllll, Now I'm off, as a direct result of your review to Pre-Order Comeback 2.0, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good man! Will prob do same when I've finished other bday books! It is a reet good read though. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete